13 May 2021
Mara Carfagna, Minister for Southern Italy and Territorial Cohesion, and Luigi Di Maio, Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, signed a memorandum of understanding this morning at Palazzo della Farnesina to support the internationalisation of Southern Italy’s enterprises.
"South is back," Minister Carfagna commented, "South is back and ready to welcome not only those who want to admire, visit and love it, but also those who want to invest in its extraordinary territories.”
The initiative stems from the ad-hoc governing body (Cabina di Regia) for internationalisation and is aimed at consolidating the presence of Italian enterprises on foreign markets and encouraging best use of public support tools for internationalisation.
Collaboration between the two administrations will focus primarily, but not exclusively, on the following measures:
- Promoting Special Economic Zones (SEZs), via the diplomatic-consular network and ICE (Agencyfor promotion abroad and internationalisation of Italian enterprises), through analysis and promotional and explanatory material on opportunities, intended for foreign enterprises and investors, to be presented at events held in qualified international venues;
- Systematising initiatives in support of the internationalisation of enterprises in Southern Regions, through the joint definition of ad-hoc projects that could be included in the 2021-2027 programming of EU Cohesion Funds;
- Developing dedicated subsidised finance instruments, with ad-hoc sections within the Simest 394 Fund (Cassa Depositi e Prestiti group supporting enterprises’ development abroad) and the venture capital fund dedicated to Southern Italy, coupled with public guarantee mechanisms aligned within Simest portfolio of equity investments and strengthened funding lines for the banking system to support Southern export SMEs in having access to credit;
- Carrying out communication campaigns on investment opportunities in the Mezzogiorno region through ad-hoc guidance;
- Identifying initiatives to strengthen SMEs’ business digitalisation capacity in Southern Italy.